Chat with a LIVE Child Support Specialist 

Interstate Case Initiation Procedures

An interstate case may be referred to our office from either the California Central Registry or another California county. Upon receipt of the referral, the acknowledgement portion of the Transmittal is completed and sent to the initiating IV-D agency with a copy of the acknowledgement being sent to the California Central Registry.

The referral is reviewed to ensure the documentation necessary to process the request has been received.

If all of the required documents have not been provided, the case worker will contact the initiating state listing the necessary information. We will provide the initiating state has 90 days from the date of the letter to provide the updated information, or the case could be closed.

If all the necessary documentation has been provided, the case is opened and initiates the next appropriate action.

Within 75 calendar days of receipt of an interstate referral from the California Central Registry, our office must:

  • Provide location services if requested or needed;
  • Notify the initiating state if additional documentation is needed in order to proceed with the case or request necessary additions, corrections, and/or documentation; and
  • Process the case to the extent possible pending receipt of necessary additions, and/or corrections from the initiating state.



While our office is prepared to assist you in the processing of your child support cases, certain information is required to process your requests. Choose from the following request types to identify the forms and information required to process that request:

  • Establish an Order
  • Establish Paternity and Support Order
  • Establish an Order for Paternity Only
  • Modification Only of an Order
  • Enforcement of an Order

When providing information to our office, please note that all documents must be signed and notarized as appropriate.

The age of emancipation in California is 18, unless the child is a full-time high school student, in which case support is owed until the child turns 19 or graduates, whichever comes first. A child is also considered emancipated if married.